tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Trig Gullberg" <>
Subject RE: multiple jvm's? followup
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2000 20:23:16 GMT
Ihave a question setting up two separate environments.  In the tomcat.conf
file where you specify the 2 diferent mount points, what exactly is the
mount point?  Is it the root for tomcat or the htdoc root or the each
respective environments root?   Basically what do we need to put here in

# Mounting the first context demo3
ApJServMount /???? ajpv12://localhost:8021/????

# Mounting the second context demo2
#ApJServMount /?? ajpv12://localhost:8015/??

- Trig Gullberg -
- PartNet - Consulting Engineer  -
- 615 Arapeen Dr, Suite 204
  Salt Lake City, UT  84108  -
- Phone 801-736-9734 -
- Fax 801-581-1785 -
-  -

-----Original Message-----
From: Maureen Fisher []
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 10:38 AM
Subject: Re: multiple jvm's? followup

Just wanted to share with everyone what I did, and pose a question.
My goal was to setup 2 separate environments, (one for test that had to be
stable and one for test where stability didn't matter).
There was no mention of this in the online FAQ, but I did find some info in
the uguide.html.
Basically in the tomcat.conf, set up 2 mount points with different ports.
Then create 2 server.xml files, each defining their own contexts.
Then startup.bat -f <path to first server.xml file> and startup.bat -f <path
to other server.xml file>

This works very well.

My question is how to get these guys using different versions of the jdk?
Currently they both use the same tomcat.conf file. How would I do it if I
wanted one mount to use 1.1.8 and the other to use 1.2?

At 11:32 AM 07/18/2000 -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>Maureen Fisher wrote:
> > Is it possible to load multiple jvm's under 1 instance of tomcat?
>Tomcat is a Java program, it runs inside of a JVM.
>To have multiple JVMs, you must have multiple instances
>of Tomcat.  (1 running in each JVM.)
>Tomcat can be used with many different JVMs, and
>you can have configurations in which you run multiple
>JVMs (multiple Tomcat instances) either to provide
>security (isolating servlets from one another) or
>to distribute load across multiple machines.
>                         - Tim Kientzle

Maureen Fisher, CIT/ASDT, Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14850
Ad astra per aspera

View raw message