tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Patrick Price">
Subject PHP/Tomcat ?
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:06:14 GMT

Should I even try to include PHP with the compilation or is that too

Patrick Price
Momentum Online

-----Original Message-----
From: Gladwell, Ricardo []
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 11:17 AM
To: ''
Cc: 'Patrick Price'
Subject: HOW TO Hack The Installation of Tomcat on Unix (was RE: Help!)

Dear All

I am forwarding you a revised version of a document I have been compiling
for the installation of Apache Jakarta Tomcat. The source and binary builds
of tomcat can be downloaded from and I suggest you
grab both (name them jakarta-tomcat-src.tar.gz and
jakarta-tomcat-bin.tar.gz). As usual, extract the binary to
<</usr/local/tomcat>> and the source to </usr/local/src/tomcat>>.

To perform a correct installation of tomcat you need to correct a couple of
files and execute the
<<%SRC_DIR%/jakarta-tomcat/src/build/do_build_apache1.3>> script which
recompiles apache. You will need to make the following amendments to

1) swap occurrences of apjv12 for jserv
2) change the line referencing <<mod_jserv.c>> to point to

Then, execute the following:

> export SRC_DIR=/usr/local/src
> export APACHE_HOME=/usr/local/apache

and then execute this script. If this script still fails, particularly if
this script reports the error that <<jserv.h>> cannot be found then your can
remedy this by copying the header file from its source location in
<</usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat/src/native/apache/jserv/>> to

Once this has occurred perform the following copy command:

> cp /usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat/src/native/apache/jserv/

Ricardo Gladwell, Web Developer
Demon Internet, Westhumble House,
Dorking Business Park, Dorking. RH4 1HJ
Tel: +44 (01306) 732 356