tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Luis Andrei Cobo" <va...@megapathdsl.net>
Subject RE: jdbc support..
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2000 07:07:44 GMT
to access MS SQL from java platform on linux/apache you need a spcial type
IV driver for MS Sql. They are few and far between but there are some good
ones:

http://www.inetsoftware.de
has thier UNA package, which is a commercial driver for SQL 7, and is 100%
java, and doesn not require ODBC bridge

http://www.jturbo.com
have thier own TYPE IV java driver, much like UNA. Also a commercial
Liscence

http://www.freetds.org
They have a free TYPE IV driver. It takes a while to configure and depending
on the build might require a little bit of hand tweaking of the actual
driver source code to make it customized for your setup. They do have some
precomiled distributions, which attempt to override some java.sql stuff, so
you may have to explicitly declare variables with thier long name. I've used
this driver for some time though and I like it ( free and working???!! can't
pass that up...and has some decent TCP/IP socket handling so that remote
databases are not a mystery. oh and of course like all good TYPE IV drivers,
no ODBC bridge necessary. You can put your DSN's away.

Luis Andrei Cobo