tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Aron Kramlik" <aron.kram...@tenzing.com>
Subject RE: error page deployment descriptor
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2000 20:49:58 GMT
I am submitting this problem again as I did not get a reply.

I am using Tomcat 3.1 with Apache 1.3.9.

If I define an error-code element for 404, file not found,
in my tomcat/webapps/gcs/WEB-INF/web.xml such as:

    <error-page>
        <error-code>
       404
        </error-code>
        <location>
           http://localhost/index.html
        </location>
    </error-page>

I then enter an invalid address under one of the tomcat context
applications, "gcs", e.g. localhost/gcs/fdsf
I get the following error, it's an Error 500 - internal servlet error:

Location: /gcs/fdsf

   Internal Servlet Error:
java.lang.NullPointerException:
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.handleError(ContextManager.java:736)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.HttpServletResponseFacade.sendError(HttpServletRespon
seFacade.java:164)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.servlets.DefaultServlet.serveFile(DefaultServlet.java:325)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.servlets.DefaultServlet.doGet(DefaultServlet.java:218)
        at
        at
        at
(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:156)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.run(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:366)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:411)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:475)

Has anyone tried to re-direct a HTTP request that is not valid to a
particular
url.  I know this was easy with Apache and it seems it should be just as
easy
with Tomcat through the error-page element but it does not seem to work.

Thanks,
Aron.