tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Larry Isaacs <Larry.Isa...@sas.com>
Subject RE: Local administrative rights to start Tomcat 3.2 beta2?
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:03:28 GMT
Hi,

Make a copy of the startup.bat file in the bin directory.  Modify this copy by changing the
"call" line near the bottom of the file to use "run" instead of "start".  Open a dos command
window and make the tomcat directory the current directory.  Then execute "bin\<your modified
bat file>".  With "run", Tomcat will be executed within the current command window instead
of spawning a separate process.  This should give you a better view of your error.

If an important part scrolls off the screen, right-click the icon in the upper left corner
of the command window and select Properties.  Set the Screen Buffer Size to a number of lines
sufficient to capture your error, then "OK" twice and try again.

Hope this helps.
Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: S.Zeeh@vpms.de [mailto:S.Zeeh@vpms.de]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 7:30 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: AW: Local administrative rights to start Tomcat 3.2 beta2?

Hi,

> Supposing you are using Windows NT, you shouldn't need
> administrative rights
> to run Tomcat 3.2. I don't.

I'm running NT 4.0 SP6a.

> What you could do is to check if you have access rights for
> all of the files
> or directories or maybe netwok drives you are using.

Tomcat 3.2beta2 is installed locally in e:\tomcat\...
JDK 1.3 is installed in c:\jdk1.3\...
JAVA_HOME and TOMCAT_HOME are also set (works with Tomcat 3.1).

> It looks like a problem of the environment of your OS, not a
> problem of
> Tomcat or Java herself.

What could be wrong?

> What is the error message?

It's too fast, but I think it's something like:

exception in thread main .. java.lang. ...

It's a little bit weired.

Thank you,

Stephan