tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Luiz Guilherme Freitas de Paula" <moons...@gold.com.br>
Subject RES: Tomcat running on NT4 server
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2000 17:33:52 GMT
Hi,

Thank you all for your support.
It worked after a few tries (had problems with paths with spaces).

Luiz Guilherme

-----Mensagem original-----
De: David M. Holmes [mailto:david_m_holmes@yahoo.com]
Enviada em: sexta-feira, 28 de julho de 2000 12:53
Para: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Assunto: RE: Tomcat running on NT4 server

Use the jk_nt_service.exe to setup Tomcat to run as service...

--- Jaime Vasquez <Jaime@BinarTek.com> wrote:
> Gal Shachor from IBM help me out on this one a couple of months ago here
is
> the stuff he provided
>
> Jaime Vasquez
> jaime@binartek.com
> (781) 238 - 6144 ext. 14
> www.binartek.com

<HR>

<!--
$Header: /home/cvs/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/NT-Service-howto.html,v 1.2
2000/05/03 13:38:18 shachor
Exp $
$Revision: 1.2 $
$Date: 2000/05/03 13:38:18 $
--!>

<head>
<title>Working with the Jakarta NT Service</title>
</head>

<h1>Working with the Jakarta NT Service</h1>

<tt>&lt;<a href="mailto:shachor@il.ibm.com">shachor@il.ibm.com</a>&gt;
</tt></p>

Tomcat servlet container and executes it in the background as an NT service.
install it you will need to:</p>

<ol>
 <li>Get a
     hold on the NT executable (jk_nt_service.exe)</li>
 <ul>
  <li>Download
      the executable from <a

href="http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/~checkout~/jakarta-tomcat/b
in/nt_service/jk_nt_service.exe?rev=1.1">http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/in
dex.cgi/~checkout~/jakarta-tomcat/bin/nt_service/jk_nt_service.exe?rev=1.1</
a>
      and save it under the name jk_nt_service.exe.</li>
 </ul>
 <li>Customize
     a properties file that provides the service with Tomcat information
     (wrapper.properties).</li>
 <ul>
  <li>Download
      a template from <a

href="http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/~checkout~/jakarta-tomcat/s
rc/etc/wrapper.properties?rev=1.1">http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cg
i/~checkout~/jakarta-tomcat/src/etc/wrapper.properties?rev=1.1</a>
      and save it under the name wrapper.properties.</li>
  <li>Update
      the wrapper.tomcat_home property to point at your tomcat home.</li>
  <li>Update
      the wrapper.java_home property to point at your Java home.</li>
 </ul>
 <li>Install
     jk_nt_service by running it with the -i flag.</li>
 <ul>
  <li>Execute
      jk_nt_service -I &lt;name of service&gt; &lt;path to updated wrapper
      properties&gt;</li>
  <li>&lt;name
      of service&gt; should be a single word (without and spaces) such as
      Jakarta</li>
  <li>&lt;path
      to updated wrapper properties&gt; should point to your
wrapper.properties
      file (and the service will check it's existence.)</li>
  <li>For
      example, a valid command line can be jk_nt_service -I Jakarta
wrapper.properties</li>
 </ul>
 <li>Start
     tomcat as a service.</li>
 <ul>
  <li>From
      the command line, execute net start &lt;name of service&gt; (e.g. net
      start Jakarta)</li>
  <li>From
      the NT services applet, highlight your service and press start.</li>
 </ul>
 <li>Stop
     Tomcat as a service.</li>
 <ul>
  <li>From
      the command line, execute net stop &lt;name of service&gt; (e.g. net
      stop Jakarta)</li>
  <li>From
      the NT services applet, highlight your service and press stop.</li>
 </ul>
</ol>

perform clean shutdown and you should make sure that an AJPV12 connector is
defined in your server.xml. In the absence of a configured AJPV12 port the
Tomcat service will kill Tomcat abruptly (that is murder it) without giving
it
a chance to clean up. </p>

<h1>Advance Setup</h1>

<ol>
 <li>Modify
     the Tomcat NT service properties. By default the service will run in
manual
     mode and under the local system user account. To modify this, open the
NT
     services applet, highlight your service and press startup. A popup
window
     is opened and you will be able to customize the service to your
     satisfaction.</li>
 <li>Modify
     the classpath. The classpath is determined by the wrapper.class_path
     properties, to modify it just add/remove/modify wrapper.class_path
lines.
     The complete classpath is calculated by concatenating all the
     wrapper.class_path lines and putting &quot;;&quot; between them.</li>
 <li>Execute
     several Tomcat instances. Say that you want one Tomcat to run for
     &quot;production&quot; and one for development, you can do that. All
you
     will need to do is to install the Tomcat service twice and under two
     different names (and with different wrapper.properties file and
server.xml
     files). </li>
 <ul>
  <li>Make
      sure that the AJPV12 and HTTP connectors are modified in each
server.xml
      file to prevent a clash.</li>
  <li>Make
      sure to update the wrapper.shutdown_port property in
wrapper.properties
      to point to the correct AJPV12 shutdown ports (default is 8007). </li>
 </ul>
 <li>Modify
     the command line used to start Tomcat. The Tomcat service is taking all
     it's command line configuration from wrapper.properties! To customize
the
     command line, edit the property wrapper.cmd_line and make sure that it
     makes a legal Java command line.</li>
</ol>

<h1>Feedback</h1>

<tt>&lt;<a