tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Alexandros Kotsiras" <kotsi...@mediaondemand.com>
Subject RE: Can i start/stop Tomcat from a remote computer ? ?
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2000 00:26:05 GMT
Well , i am kind of new to the Computer business at least professionally  so
i am not really aware of the
old days but i enjoy the comments, at least i learn something.
Based on my NOT really in-depth JAVA knowledge i though that 4MB is "light"
for JAVA mainly for 2 reasons :

1. I remember once reading that whatever JAVA app you code your memory usage
starts at 4MB or higher because this (4MB) is what the JVM needs by itself.
Is that correct ? ?

2. Whenever i start Tomcat on WinNT, exactly as it comes from
the distribution without adding contexts and additional load-on-startup
servlets i see the
java.exe process on WinNT Task Manager going to +8MB.

So i thought why should i use a second Admin Tomcat Instance (+8MB extra)
like most of the Commercial products do (JRun)
in order to start/stop the Application instance ? ?
And i was kind of happy to see my  server-socket process which does what i
need going "only" up to 4MB-4.5MB when it starts.

Anyway ..i would really like to know whether my first assumtion about the
4MB needs of the JVM  is correct..

Alex.