tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Brunkow <dbrun...@userinterface.com>
Subject RE: Database Connectivity, JDBC2 and Tomcat
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2000 17:05:53 GMT
Is all of that necessary, if JDBC2.0(and the correct driver and database,
thanks Alexandros)works as advertised?

dvb

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Pfeiffer [mailto:wsplist1@tampabay.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 6:45 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: Database Connectivity, JDBC2 and Tomcat

AFAIK, the proper way to do what you want is to:

1. Create a "load" servlet that will initialize a connection pooling object
when the containter (Tomcat) starts up.  There are several connection
pooling offerings out there for free.

2. Have the "load" servlet load on container startup.

3. Have the "load" servlet store the connection pooling object in the
ServletContext object.  This will make the pool available to ALL sessions.

4. Have the individual servlet (or jsp's) get the connection pooling object
from the ServletContext.  Get the individual connections from the connection
pooling object and hold the connection for only as long as you need it, then
return it immediatly to the pool.  Usually this time period is specified by
the amount of work done within a logical transaction.

You may want to have a controlling object to:

  * obtain the connection,
  * begin the transaction,
  * pass the connection to the individual beans to do work,
  * commit or rollback the transaction as appropriate at the end of the work
  * return the connection

I have used an abbreviated version of this in all my current servlet/jsp
work.  I don't really do any updates just yet, so I don't have any
transactions to worry about, just read only data javabeans.

I do plan to integrate with jBoss to do my transactional type work when I
get to it.  Why re-invent the EJB wheel with regular javabeans when there
are good open source EJB solutions that will integrate with Tomcat?

My $.02,

Bill Pfeiffer
Arbitration Forums, Inc
wpfeiffe@arbfile.org