tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "O'Connor, Rory O" <roc47...@glaxowellcome.com>
Subject 500 Error with tomcat 3.1 jsp examples
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:24:11 GMT
I've just installed tomcat 3.1 on Solaris 2.6 with Sun's Java 1.1, and was
trying the included examples (invoked via tomcat's own http server on the
default port, 8080).

The servlets work, but for any of the jsp examples I get:

Error: 500
Location: /examples/jsp/dates/date.jsp
Internal Servlet Error:
	at java.lang.Throwable.(Compiled Code)
	at java.lang.Exception.(Compiled Code)
	at javax.servlet.ServletException.(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.JasperException.(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.loadJSP(Compiled Code)

... [more similar such messages] ...

	at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(Compiled Code)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)
Root cause:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown argument
	at java.lang.Throwable.(Compiled Code)
	at java.lang.Exception.(Compiled Code)
	... etc. ...

I found something similar in the FAQ-o-matic collection at the jakarta web
site indicating a classpath problem, but since this has somewhat different
error messages, and since I know next to nothing about Java and Java servers
(just "plain vanilla" Apache, and Netscape, and shell or Perl CGI
programming), I'm not sure what needs to be done.

I'm trying to set this up simply and quickly for an extremely urgent,
high-visibility, corporate-wide project for relatively experienced Java
developers to utiilize.  If I can't get it to where they can try it out
quickly, then their preference for iPlanet (Netscape Enterprise server) will
prevail...

TIA,

--

Rory O'Connor