tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Roytman, Alex" <roytm...@peacetech.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat benchmarks from orionserver.com, Please comment. Impor tant
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:34:22 GMT
According to Orion Tomcat 3.1 is almost 8 times slower than Orion or Resin.
Are this fair results?
Could someone from Jakarta team comment on it. We all like Tomcat, so please
do say something

form Orion web site:
Requests per second under the four different stress levels:

Server 	1 x 1 	4 x 1 	8 x 2 (16) 	16 x 4(64)
Orion 	615.00 	622.36 	597.1 	579.89
Tomcat 	84.19 	86.59 	74.48 	68.24
JRun 		386.17 	387.62 	370.1 	306.34
Resin 	606.01 	598.77 	588.74 	575.49
Weblogic 	122.55 	124.28 	125.73 	116.81

see http://www.orionserver.com/benchmarks/benchmark.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Chon-Chon Tang [mailto:ztang@weber.lcs.mit.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2000 4:35 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Tomcat benchmarks from orionserver.com

Hmm, first of all, apologies if this is the wrong list for this discussion
(re-direct if a better one exists).

Caucho also has done quite a bit of back-patting on the performance of
Resin on JSP/Servlet content serving.  Orion's performance seems similarly
impressive... both appear to be on the order of 5-8 times faster than
Tomcat, and in fact even superior to most (substantially more expensive)
commercial products.

Has anyone out there had practical experiences with these less publicized
servers?  Since Resin is also standards-meeting (both JSP and Servlet),
why might I choose Tomcat over Resin on the short-term?  This isn't to
demean the value of Jakarta and it's development efforts; I'm just trying
to evaluate a product for the near term.