tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Maureen Fisher <m...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: multiple jvm's? followup
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:37:42 GMT
Just wanted to share with everyone what I did, and pose a question.
My goal was to setup 2 separate environments, (one for test that had to be stable and one
for test where stability didn't matter).
There was no mention of this in the online FAQ, but I did find some info in the uguide.html.
Basically in the tomcat.conf, set up 2 mount points with different ports. Then create 2 server.xml
files, each defining their own contexts.
Then startup.bat -f <path to first server.xml file> and startup.bat -f <path to other
server.xml file>

This works very well.

My question is how to get these guys using different versions of the jdk? Currently they both
use the same tomcat.conf file. How would I do it if I wanted one mount to use 1.1.8 and the
other to use 1.2?

At 11:32 AM 07/18/2000 -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>Maureen Fisher wrote:
> > Is it possible to load multiple jvm's under 1 instance of tomcat?
>
>Tomcat is a Java program, it runs inside of a JVM.
>To have multiple JVMs, you must have multiple instances
>of Tomcat.  (1 running in each JVM.)
>
>Tomcat can be used with many different JVMs, and
>you can have configurations in which you run multiple
>JVMs (multiple Tomcat instances) either to provide
>security (isolating servlets from one another) or
>to distribute load across multiple machines.
>
>                         - Tim Kientzle

Maureen Fisher, CIT/ASDT, Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14850
mf12@cornell.edu
http://mo.cit.cornell.edu/
Ad astra per aspera