tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Bug: Tomcat setting wrong host on redirect
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2000 00:33:58 GMT

Richard Sand wrote:

> Hi- I've switched to another servlet engine to test and confirmed that this
> is a bug in Tomcat.  It should not insert the hostname into the redirect.

Um, have you checked the 2.2 spec?  In Section 6.3, it says:

    "It is legal to call this method with a relative URL path,
    however the underlying container must translate the
    relative path to a fully qualified URL for transmission back
    to the client."

> If I browse to www.xyz.com:81/servlet/MyServlet and the servlet does a
> response.sendRedirect("/nextpage.html"), the browser should go to
> www.xyz.com:81/nextpage.html, not the internal hostname of the web server.
>
> Any suggestions?  Tomcat is 3.1, web server is Apache on Solaris (sparc).

Upgrade to Tomcat 3.2, which grabs the hostname (and port) from the original
request when it creates the absolute URL of the response.

> -Richard

Craig McClanahan