tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: javax.servlet.ServletContext missing two methods
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:40:04 GMT
Faustas.Zilinskas@firstunion.com wrote:

> I checked the servlet.jar file that comes with Tomcat 3.1. ServletContext
> didn't have those methods.
> I also checked the latest servlet.jar file from the java.sun.com site. The
> same problem.
>
> I'm using Forte for Java to inspect the contents of the jar files.

That's intriguing.  I got the following results, where
"/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat"
is the directory containing the binary distribution of Tomcat 3.1:

    cd /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/lib
    jar xvf servlet.jar
    javap -classpath . javax.servlet.ServletContext

returned the following results

    Compiled from ServletContext.java
    public interface javax.servlet.ServletContext
        /* ACC_SUPER bit NOT set */
    {
        public abstract java.lang.Object getAttribute(java.lang.String);
        public abstract java.util.Enumeration getAttributeNames();
        public abstract javax.servlet.ServletContext
getContext(java.lang.String);
        public abstract java.lang.String
getInitParameter(java.lang.String);
        public abstract java.util.Enumeration getInitParameterNames();
        public abstract int getMajorVersion();
        public abstract java.lang.String getMimeType(java.lang.String);
        public abstract int getMinorVersion();
        public abstract javax.servlet.RequestDispatcher
getNamedDispatcher(java.lang.String);
        public abstract java.lang.String getRealPath(java.lang.String);
        public abstract javax.servlet.RequestDispatcher
getRequestDispatcher(java.lang.String);
        public abstract java.net.URL getResource(java.lang.String)
throws
java.net.MalformedURLException;
        public abstract java.io.InputStream
getResourceAsStream(java.lang.String);
        public abstract java.lang.String getServerInfo();
        public abstract javax.servlet.Servlet
getServlet(java.lang.String) throws
javax.servlet.ServletException;
        public abstract java.util.Enumeration getServletNames();
        public abstract java.util.Enumeration getServlets();
        public abstract void log(java.lang.Exception, java.lang.String);
        public abstract void log(java.lang.String);
        public abstract void log(java.lang.String, java.lang.Throwable);
        public abstract void removeAttribute(java.lang.String);
        public abstract void setAttribute(java.lang.String,
java.lang.Object);
    }

and the two methods we are discussing are the fourth and fifth ones
listed.

What happens when you compile a servlet (against your servlet.jar) that
tries to use
these methods?

Craig