tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Eric Princen <e...@bizblast.com>
Subject Re: Getting there: JServ to tomcat web.xml questions
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2000 20:44:18 GMT
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
> If you use <context-param>, these parameters are indeed accessible to all
> the servlets in your web application.  You have to use calls like:
>
>     getServletContext().getInitParameter("configFile")
>
> to retrieve them in your servlets.

Perfect.

> You can use a symbolic link (on Unix systems) for this purpose.
> Alternatively, you could put your servlet classes on the system class path
> instead, if they should be shared.

Would be nice if that were configurable in web.xml, but the link will
do.

> Note also that the class files themselves need to be nested (under
> WEB-INF/classes) in directories that match their package name hierarchy,
> following exactly the same rules as anytime you want to put a directory name
> on a classpath.

I assume if no package is specified, they are just in the 'classes'
directory. This is prototype stuff. I didn't get that fancy. :-)

BTW, I'm still not getting it to see any of my classes. I'm about the
set debugging to '1'. It does see my index.html for the context, but
"whoopie", that doesn't buy me much.

> With Tomcat 3.2, that is one way to do it.  You should also note that any
> JAR file in $TOMCAT_HOME/lib gets added to the class path automatically, so
> that is a very convenient place to put shared libraries.

That is convenient. I'll give that a try.

> Craig

Thank you for the info.

-Eric ;-)

--