tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Eric Princen <e...@bizblast.com>
Subject Getting there: JServ to tomcat web.xml questions
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2000 20:02:51 GMT
OK. I'm well on my way now. Got the 2.2 spec. I'm understanding most
things. I think I like it, but I'm not yet sure. :-)

Some questions I can't find answers for. These are all questions about
web.xml.

I see the <init-param> element for <servlet>. I see the <context-param>
for <web-app>. I need to pass the same variable "configFile" to all
servlets in the context. I am making an assumption I do that with
<context-param>, but it is unclear from the DTD that is in fact the
case. Am I correct, or am I doing that annoying "assume" thing?

I have two contexts and I would like them to use the same set of class
files. As of now, I have my class files in WEB_INF/classes in each
context's directory (still not working, but I'm sure it's a small
error.) I would like to be able to give each context a path to where the
servlet class files are. If that is not possible, can I symbolic link
WEB-INF/classes to the servlet repository? That would be just too
convienient, wouldn't it?

Is there a way to define a classpath for a context for support classes
(not servlets?) These are classes I don't want to autoreload. Do I have
to just rely on setting the CLASSPATH variable? I would like more
control than that (but I'm well aware that you don't always get what you
want.)

That's all I have now, but I'm sure I'll think of more later. I always
do. :-)

Thank you all for your help to this point,

-Eric ;-)

--
Eric Princen
Chief Technology Officer