tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Hsueh <dchs...@etude.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject Tomcat and Xerces incompatibilities
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2000 18:15:07 GMT
Hi,

I just subscribed to this mailing list.  I'm hoping someone can
help me with a problem I'm experiencing.  I'm using the Xerces-J
xml parsers from xml.apache.org.

I always get "NoSuchMethodError" runtime exceptions for Xerces API
calls that do exist and will work if I run the same code outside of
Tomcat, e.g., as a separate command-line application, such as:
  java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.w3c.dom.Document: method
importNode(Lorg/w3c/dom/Node;Z)Lorg/w3c/dom/Node; not found
    [long stack trace]
(this message occurs with xerces-1_1_0).  With other Xerces versions
(like 1_1_2 and 1_0_3) I get other "missing" methods, like a missing
Document.createAttribute().  Again, the code works when called from
a standalone app using the same jars.

Running on RH6.2, blackdown jdk 1.2.2 rc4, Tomcat 3.1 final,
Xerces-J versions 1.0.3, 1.1.0, and 1.1.2.  CLASSPATH identical
between command line test program and Tomcat server (with tomcat's
extra entries added as part of the default startup script).

Anyone have any ideas or experiences?  Thank you!

--
Daniel Hsueh
mailto:Daniel%20Hsueh%20%3Cdchsueh@etude.uwaterloo.ca%3E