tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: URL Rewriting
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2000 18:58:29 GMT
"Rob S." wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> > My basic finding was that if you use port 8080, bypassing Apache, then
> > URL encoding worked.  If I used port 80, however, encodeURL() just
> > returned the URL unchanged.
>
> Although I don't have any experience with this, from reading the list, I
> believe this is the case.

Could someone who is experiencing this problem try two simple experiments
and report back (turning off cookies in your browser)?

(1) Explicitly use port 80 on the URL

    http://localhost:80/xxxx

(2) Modify your Apache config to have Apache listen on some other port
     (say 7070) and try that:

    http://localhost:7070/xxxxx

If the "default port" issue is the culprit, then you should get URLs
rewritten in both of these cases.

NOTE!!!!!  In order for the session ids to actually *work*, you also need to
have the MOD_REWRITE stuff set up in your httpd.conf file.  But having that
by itself is not enough if rewriting never happens in the first place, which
is what we're trying to fix here.

> - r

Craig