tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: URL Rewriting
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:42:59 GMT
See below.

David Eisner wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Jeremy Boyd wrote:
>
> > OK... now I've heard two different stories.  Some people say URLEncoding
> > does work in Apache+Tomcat 3.1 and now I hear it won't... what is the
> > consensus from the rest of you?  Does URLEncoding work or not?  What does
> > everybody think?  Here's your chance to put in your 2 cents.  Thanks
> >

> I will tell you my experience, with both Tomcat 3.1, and 3.2b1.  What
> I did is have my servlet take a sample URL, use encodeURL(), and then
> use System.out.println() to see the encoded URL, even before it was
> used.
>
> My basic finding was that if you use port 8080, bypassing Apache, then
> URL encoding worked.  If I used port 80, however, encodeURL() just
> returned the URL unchanged.

A recent bug fix is probably related to this -- I'd like someone who is
having
problems to download a recent nightly build of Tomcat (it is *not* fixed
in the
latest beta) to check.

The issue relates to an issue with the java.net.* classes that returned
-1,
instead of 80, as the port number if no explicit port was specified.
This caused
the logic in Tomcat to decide that this URL was not going to come back
to the
same web application -- so it did not need to be encoded.

Craig McClanahan