tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Savary <a...@simteam.com>
Subject Re: Apache cooperating w/ Tomcat problem
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2000 15:22:44 GMT
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> "Ibrahim Haddad (LMC)" wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have Apache 1.3.12 serving on port 80. I also have Tomcat 3.1
> > serving on port 8080. I would like to set Apache to cooperate
> > with Tomcat. So I followed the instruction in the "Tomcat
> > Minimalistic User's Guide".
> >
> > I included $tomcathome/conf/tomcat-apache.conf in Apache's httpd.conf.
> > I restart Tomcat (it works ok on port 8080). I restart Apache (works
> > ok on port 80). I try to access servername:8007 but the browser keeps
> > stalling and on the shell prompt I get:
> >

> You should not be referring to port 8007 directly from your browser.  That port is used
only to communicate between Apache and Tomcat, and it does not use the HTTP protocol.

> Instead, use a port 80 URI that references one of the URIs that is being forwarded to
Tomcat.  For example, if you used the standard Tomcat configuration you should be able to
request:

>     http://servername/examples/jsp
>
> and get the index page for the JSP examples, and then execute the JSP pages from there,
while going through Apache.

> Craig McClanahan

When I try this URL, my browser is searching (I can see it in the status bar) www.http.com

But it works if I request http://servername/examples/jsp/

Why?

I also have a similar problem:

When I request http://localhost/examples, or http://localhost/examples/
I can see a web page with 3 directories links (images,jsp and servlets).

If i try to click on the last 2 links (jsp or servlets) then the browser

is trying to search www.http.com. If I click the images link, we enter
into
the directory correctly.

Requesting http://localhost/examples/jsp does the same error.

Requesting http://localhost/examples/jsp/ give me the JSP sample page,
and JSP samples work!

But if I request http://localhost:8080/examples/ and then click the jsp
link,
then it works!!

How to remove the need for port declaration in URL?

Best regards,

Alan.
Alan Savary
R&D Engineer