tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Kientzle <kient...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Benfits of Apache and JServ?
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2000 18:00:21 GMT
bburd@drew.edu wrote:
> I've successully installed Tomcat, and I've downloaded
> Apache. What can I do by installing Apache and
> integrating Tomcat into it (that I can't do with just
> Tomcat)? The same question goes for JServ.

Apache can handle CGI scripts, PHP scripts, support SSL,
flexible URL rewriting, configurable logging, virtual host
support, web proxying, etc., etc., etc., all with the confidence
of a solid, tested codebase that's been in production use
on hundreds of thousands of websites for years.

Tomcat by itself can serve static content, servlets and
JSP pages.  It's first production release was a couple of
months ago.  It's in production on a few hundred web sites.

If you're just learning servlet or JSP programming, use Tomcat
by itself.  It's easier to setup and will work reasonably well.
If you're deploying production servers, start with Apache.

				- Tim ;-)