tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Kientzle <kient...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Help!
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:49:01 GMT
Patrick Price wrote:
> I'm new to Java, JDK, JSP, etc.

Ouch!  You've got a lot of learning ahead.

> What I'm trying to do is get ready to use Macromedia Dreamweaver Ultradev
> using JSP to access MS Access database via JDBC or something....

Right now, Tomcat's documentation is sufficiently anemic
that you might be better off trying an older but better-documented
system, such as JServ or Allaire's JRun 2.3.3.  I've used both on
FreeBSD.  (Caveat: I've never found a use for JSP, so can't attest to
how well that part works.)

For that matter, using JDBC to access a remote MS Access database
is going to be a fair bit of work in and of itself.  Have you considered
getting a commercial JSP implementation that runs on Windows?
That would certainly be faster and easier to get running.

> 1: compile tomcat under FreeBSD 3.4

If you get the release distribution, then there's no
"compilation" required, except for the connector module that
has to go into Apache.  I've been using the connector module
from the most recent JServ distribution.  JServ is better documented;
you might find it easier to start there.

> 2: explain whether I need to recompile Apache (already has PHP, Mod-SSL and
> I'm loathe to recompile)

_IF_ you originally compiled Apache with DSO support, then you
can use the "apxs" approach to compile a new DSO module without
having to recompile all of Apache.  If not, then you'll have
to recompile Apache.

To check:  type 'httpd -l' and see if "mod_so.c" is listed.
If not, time to recompile.  If so, then you just need to compile
the DSO module, add a couple of lines to your httpd.conf and
restart Apache.

> 3: find documentation for tomcat!

Start by reading all of the JServ documentation.  Much of the
actual configuration information doesn't apply, but by the time
you finish, you'll at least understand the basic concepts
(how a request received by Apache eventually gets turned into
a servlet call; there's a special servlet that handles JSPs by
first translating them into Java servlets, then compiling
that servlet).  Since Tomcat uses the same connector technology
as JServ, the JServ documentation of how requests flow through
the system is still applicable to Tomcat.

> or explain what to do with the /linux/i386/mod_jserv.so file ?

If this came with the distribution, then it's the 'linux' version
and won't work on FreeBSD.  Throw it away and compile a new one.

> Currently I'm getting this when trying to start the compile:
>
>  #./build.sh
>  Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread

Sounds like a classpath problem.  If you're new to Java, I suggest
you spend at least a little time typing in short Java examples
and compiling them to ensure they work.  The system you're trying
to build has a lot of pieces; test them one at a time.

The current JDK 1.1.8 for FreeBSD is pretty stable.  Steer clear
of the current JDK 1.2 releases for FreeBSD until you understand
the system better (they're still pretty buggy, I've recently gone
back to JDK 1.1.8 for just this reason).  Get a good
Java programming book and type in a few exercises just to test
that the whole JDK (compiler, etc.) are all working.

Then, try running Tomcat standalone.  It has a pretty simple built-in
webserver that it launches on port 8080.  Since this is all Java,
you should be able to run it without compiling anything.

Finally, after you think you understand all of that, work on the Apache
integration.

				- Tim