tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeremy Linzer <jlin...@alabanza.com>
Subject Re: ServletContext.setAttribute()
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2000 19:26:13 GMT
Hi all,

I am pretty new to this and I have what maybe a simple question. I wrote
a simple Servlet (passes a message to a JSP and JSP outputs it). It
compiles fine but when I try accessing it I got a 500 error:

java.lang.NullPointerException:
        at HelloWorldServlet.service(HelloWorldServlet.java:14)
        at

        at
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:160)

        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:338)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)

line 14 that it refers to in the servlet is rd.forward(req, res);
rd is of type RequestDispatcher

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would really appreciate it.

THanks,
Jeremy