tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: An odd classpath question
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:24:56 GMT
Lucas Ludvig wrote:

> Hello!
> I am having an odd classpath problem.  A jar in a lib folder isn't being
> found, but other jars in the same folder are being found.  The lib folder in
> question is not the one at TOMCAT_HOME/lib, but it is the lib folder in my
> specific webapps branch (TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/crawler/WEB-INF/lib with
> crawler being the name of my specific branch).
> I have gone under the assumption that any jars put in this lib folder will
> be included in the classpath.  Is it more complicated than this?  There
> aren't any other jars with the same name in the classpath.   I do have
> around 20 to 30 jars in this lib folder... could the number of jars be the
> problem?
> I have noticed when I shutdown or startup Tomcat that it displays the
> classpath in the terminal including the classpath in the user's profile as
> well as any jars in the TOMCAT_HOME/lib folder, but not the jars in the
> specific branches lib folders.  Why is this?  Is there a way to view the
> jars included in the classpath that are in the specific branch lib folders?

To be precise, Tomcat does not "add the JAR files in WEB-INF/lib to your class
path".  What it does is makes those JAR files visible for class loading from
within that particular web application -- each web app ends up with their own
customized source of classes.

The CLASSPATH variable only documents the JAR files and directories that are
visible to *all* web apps.

> Thanks much for any help.
> Luke

Craig McClanahan