tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Servlet reloading once more
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:21:32 GMT
Mason Jones wrote:

> Craig McClanahan wrote:
> >Matthew Lyons wrote:
> >
> >> It includes the project classes in the classpath. Does TomCat
> >> autoreload classes in the classpath?
> >
> >No.  Auto-reloading (to the extent that it works -- there are bugs if
> >you have
> >more than one servlet running) can only reload classes that it loaded
> >from
> >WEB-INF/classes or WEB-INF/lib/*.jar in your web application.  You will
> >need to
> >make sure that JBuilder stores the servlet classes in one of these
> >places.
>
> Does this mean that if I have classes in a package under
> WEB-INF/classes, they won't be reloaded? That's what I'm
> seeing. I've got WEB-INF/classes/clipshow and most of my
> classes under there, and they're not being reloaded. I do have
> "reloadable=true" in my server.xml file. Do I need to make a
> lib/clipshow.jar file instead, in order to get the classes to reload?

Classes in packages are treated identically (with respect to reloading) to
classes not in packages.  In other words, if you have a class "MyClass" in
package "clipshow", the class file itself should be
"WEB-INF/classes/clipshow/MyClass.class".

One thing to triple check is that there is no occurrence of
"clipshow.MyClass" anywhere on your class path.  If there is, the class will
be loaded from there instead, and thus not be subject to reload checking.

>   Mason Jones              mason(at)clipshow.com
>   Director of Software Development
>   ClipShow, Inc.            www.clipshow.com
>   (650) 696-3164           fax (650) 696-3267

Craig McClanahan