tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: sessions and JSP Tag Handlers
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:02:28 GMT

Joel Regen wrote:

> I figured this out and it is kinda embarrasing.

We've all been there and done that!  :-)

> The reason, I suspect, that my session tracking was not working was that I was using
> localhost in a couple places in my code (jsp page and in initial url).
> That probably hoses anything to do with sessions across pages.
> for future reference anyway.   :-o

Sessions are "by definition" tied to a particular servlet context on a particular
hostname.  If you use relative hyperlinks, you don't generally have to worry about this,
because the browser reconstructs an absolute URL that includes the host name of the
server it got this page from.  But, "www.mycompany.com" and "localhost" are considered
to be different hosts, even if they are the same machine and resolve to the same
webserver.

>   _ _
>   o o
>
> Joel Regen wrote: