tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Security settings seemingly ignored
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:27:14 GMT
One thing you will need to make this work is a <realm-name> element in
your <login-config>.  The text of this element is used in the dialog box
that the browser pops up, so that the user knows what they are logging
into.  Example:

    <login-config>
        <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
        <realm-name>My Secure Test Area</realm-name>
    </login-config>

Of course, you should also be trying this with the latest beta of Tomcat
3.2 -- there were bugs in basic authorization support in Tomcat 3.1.

Craig McClanahan

Ed wrote:

>  I am attempting to get tomcat to challenge for a username/password
> pair when reading ANYTHING from a given directory. To test this, I
> added a directory called 'secure' in the 'webapps/test' directory.I
> then modified webapps/test/WEB-INF/web.xml to look like the
> following:<web-app><!-- servlet stuff is here, but snipped for this
> email
> --><security-role><role-name>tomcat</role-name></security-role>
<security-constraint><web-resource-collection><web-resource-name>Test