tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat performance issue
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2000 19:57:00 GMT
Burak Ozyurt wrote:

> Hi,
>
>                  Does anyone has information about why the
> getServletContext().getRequestDispatcher("/somecontext/some.jsp").forward(req,res)
> method invoked within a dispatcher servlet (JSP Model 2) takes sometimes
> much longer than usual to execute in Jakarta-Tomcat 3.1? (In my tests, I
> encountered execution times between 30 miliseconds and 4 seconds.
> Execution times are scattered around two extreme points and not
> uniformly distributed          in between. I have observed similar
> behavior in Resin 1.3.3, also (however less frequently than Tomcat 3.1).

This sounds exactly like the pattern I would expect if the JSP page you are forwarding
to was modified and needed to be recompiled, versus when it did not need to be
recompiled.  If that's not the issue, I would tend to look at what you are doing
inside the JSP page itself, or the beans that it utilizes.

> I. Burak Ozyurt PhD
>  Cayenta.com
>  email: bozyurt@san.rr.com
>             bozyurt@cayenta.com