tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Markus Nietfeld <nietf...@agentscape.de>
Subject Tomcat 3.1 shutting down connection?
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:19:11 GMT
Hi folks,

we are evaluating Tomcat 3.1 for a customer project, where we use open
HTTP connections as push channel to the client browser. Thus, Tomcat is
listening at port 8080 as standalone HTTP server. It seems to be pretty
stable, but from time to time we get the following exception:

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:423)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:191)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:174)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:267)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpEndpoint.acceptConnections(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:248)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpListenerThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:319)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)
Endpoint ServerSocket[addr=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0,port=0,localport=8080]
shutdown due to exception: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by
peer

After that, Tomcat is not reachable anymore, although the servlets
inside still seem to be alive (pingable via RMI).

We have installed Tomcat 3.1 Final on a Linux Kernel 2.2.14, using IBM's
JDK 1.1.8. We are using Tomcat's SimpleTcpConnector. I did not play yet
with the PoolConnector and the JVM optimizations mentioned in the User's
Guide, but I can hardly imagine that this problem is connected to not
using a threadpool (as we are only three people testing simultaneously
;)

Does anyone have similar experiences?
Thanks for any help,
Markus.