tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dave Fox" <da...@smarttalk.com>
Subject RE: Document contains no data
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 22:06:18 GMT
Solved the problem:
Below is the explanation from the developer:
********
Solution:  The service method of the servlet is supposed to call doGet or
doPost.  But because of a programming error when examining
pRequest.getMethod(), neither of these cases was getting activated.  The
service method exited without passing the request on to doGet or doPost.

Recommendation:  If document contains no data, review the service() method
of the servlet.  Often this method will be found in a base class
********
Note: We believe that the reason that it was working on Java WebServer was
due to a bug in the JDK that it uses.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fox [mailto:davef@smarttalk.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 2:35 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Document contains no data

System: NT4 sp6, Tomcat 3.1, Apache 1.3.12

I'm totally new to this whole thing so please forgive any idiocy on my part.

Has anyone gotten a "Document contains no data" back from a servlet?  The
developer who put this servlet together is running it under Java WebServer
2.0 without any problem.  However when I put it on my system it doesn't seem
to work.

I believe that I have everything configured correctly (web.xml, etc) because
if Tomcat tells me when I request something that it can't find (like if I
intentionally misspell the servlet name).

Note:  The servlet is buried in:
 /webapps/ops/WEB-INF/classes/tesla/cdi/ui/ops/servlet/MyServlet

Which I reference in my web.xml as:
 <servlet-class>tesla.cdi.ui.ops.servlet.MyServlet</servlet-class>

The log files don't yield ANY information when I make this request.

Oh, I've telnetted and did a manual GET and, as expected, got only the
server header information.

Thanks in advance.
Dave