tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Summerfield <sum...@OS2.ami.com.au>
Subject Re: Can i start/stop Tomcat from a remote computer ? ?
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2000 23:17:06 GMT
> Alexandros Kotsiras wrote:
>
> > It has a lightweight server-side part (approx 4MB)
>
> I always smile when I read things like this ... developers nowdays are so
> SPOILED :-) :-) :-)
>
> The first "mainframe" that I programmed on professionally had 32 KILObytes of
> main memory, and we couldn't ever write a complex enough program (in RPG II)
> use it all effectively ... :-)

I can't resist the urge. Please forgive me;-)

The first computer O got at (I was a beginner then) was a CDC 3200, 16K 24-bit
words.

By first program, in Fortran, overwrote the operating system, SCOPE.

Social Security (Australia) implemented Medibank in the mid 70s on an IBM
mainframe with
6 Mb RAM
OS/VS2 Rel 1 (16 Mbyte aggregate [single] address space)
A brace of disk drives (3330), 100 Mbytes each.
6 disk drives (2319), 29 Mbytes each.
A dozen or so 3420 (tape) drives.
3 3211 priters (on their own floor)

Each Mbyte of RAM was in its own box; these boxes were about two metres high.

The computer, a S/370 model 168, could sustain 1.5 Mbytes/second on a block
multiplexor channel (approximately equivalent to a SCSI controller), and 3
Mbytes/second all up.

There were actually two of them; the second had 2 Mbytes and didn't do much.

Subsequently they were configured as a single multiprocessor system under
OS/VS2 3.0 (MVS; each job had its own 16 Mbytes address space).

One of the really cool features was its dynamic reconfigurabiity. One evening
I dropped in and asked if I could have one to do wome work (using OS/VS1). We
configured out a Mbyte of RAM and a CPU and a disk drive and a console and
threw a switch or two and I had myself a computer, \. Meanwhile everything
else kept right on running; when it was booted, it was running on an MP
system, now it was on a UP (uniprocessor). When I finished, it was all put
together and MVS was running on an MP system again.