tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rishi N" <rea...@hotmail.com>
Subject Repost:Pl. help!!: Identical session IDs in Netscape 4.7, for different sessions
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:35:58 GMT
Hi people,

sorry for taking up bandwidth, and also apologies for the duplicate post(for
those of you on both the general and the tomcat-user list), but i'm stuck
with this problem here. I tried searching the tomcat-user archive for any
solutions, but couldn't find any. any help will be much, much appreciated.

rishi

 >i just noticed a strange behaviour on netscape 4.7 on NT4.0. i'm >trying
to use the tomcat-generated session ID to identify netscape >browser
sessions. what i noticed is that the first time i go to my >site, a
sessionID is generated and sent back as a cookie(by the >session-tracking
API). now if i open a new browser window, the *same* >sessionID is sent back
from the browser, and used  by the servlet >engine. so if i use only the
sessionID to track sessions, there is no >way to distinguish between two
different users logging in from the >same machine. I guess this netscape
behaviour is probably due to the >fact that there is only one netscape
process running, and all the >windows run in various threads of that
process. Here are my questions: