tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Cox <johnedward...@yahoo.com>
Subject web.xml Error
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:34:17 GMT
Anyone seen this one before:

I'm trying to run a webapp under Tomcat 3.1
on NT4 sp6 with jdk1.2.2 and JSDK2.0.  I've customized
the sample web.xml
file but when I try to start Tomcat, I get the
following error:

ERROR reading <path>\app\WEB_INF\web.xml
At Document root element missing

ERROR reading <path>\app\WEB_INF\web.xml
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXML

The web.xml looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web
Application 2.2//EN"
    "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd">

<web-app>
<!-- body -->
</web-app>

Can anyone give me any sort of explaination/solution
for this?  I've tried re-typing the entire web.xml
(rather than copy/paste) in three different text
editors just incase the encoding was wrong or there
was any white space/invisible characters screwing
things up but nothing helps...

JC