tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kevin Kucks" <ke...@bluedog.com.au>
Subject PDF file viewing behaviour different for apache and tomcat..
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2000 03:15:31 GMT
Hi,

I am using j2sdkee1.2.1 (tomcat 3.0 comes inside j2sdkee1.2.1) and have noticed that large
PDFs do not "stream" like they do when being served by the apache web server....

When getting a pdf from apache the pdf starts showing itself as soon as the download starts,
but getting the same pdf from tomcat the browser shows nothing until the entire file is down.
This is finde if the pdf is tiny, but I am serving several between 1MB and 8MB.

I had a look at the HTTP headers from each, and noticed a difference...apache serves up "Accept-Ranges:
bytes" and "Connection: Keep-Alive". Any idea if these two headers are controlling this behaviour?
and if so, how do I persuade tomcat to do the same thing?

Thanks!,

Kevin

PS

Headers served up by apache: