tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Todd" <clt...@bellatlantic.net>
Subject RE: Tomcat/Apache integration question
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2000 00:59:56 GMT
So am I to understand from this thread that the way in which Tomcat supports
VirtualHosts is fundamentally different from the way JServ does?  We
currently use JServ on our servers, many of which have as many as several
hundred virtual hosts, and JServ's concept of servlet zones works very well.
It secures each zone so that the servlets of zone A cannot access the
resources of zone B.  But from this thread, it would appear that there is no
equivalent separation of "contexts" (which I assume - and correct me if I'm
wrong - are Tomcat's equivalent to servlet zones).

I did, however, read in the User's guide that Tomcat can support
VirtualHosts using a separate instance of Tomcat (running inside of it's own
JVM) for each VirtualHost, but our servers simply do not have the resources
to handle a couple hundred JVMs.  Jay Freeman (saurik) was kind enough to
reply to my previous host in which I posed the same questions as I do here,
but it is not clear to me that Jay's configuration supports multiple Virtual
Hosts all running in the same JVM, and yet provides the kind of application
security that JServ's servlet zones do.  Jay, can you clear that up for us?

Sincerest regards,
Chris Todd
Software Engineer
Alabanza Corporation