tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rob S." <rsli...@home.com>
Subject RE: Could someone explain this behavior for me?
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 16:27:06 GMT
Regarding the "reloadable" attribute in the Context element in the
server.xml file.  Taken from, "Developing Applications With Tomcat, Section
3":

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/appdev/

***
Set to "true" if you want Tomcat to watch for changes to Java class files in
the WEB-INF/classes directory, or JAR files in the WEB-INF/lib directory. If
such a change is noted, Tomcat will shut down and reload your application
automatically, picking up these changes. The default value ("false") means
that such changes will be ignored. NOTE: While this feature is very useful
during development, it requires overhead to do the checking. This capability
should generally not be used in deployed production applications.
***

...or it's doing it all the time, irrespective of that setting?

- r

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Carbonari [mailto:robertC@opmr.com]
Sent: July 12, 2000 8:49 AM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta. apache. org' (E-mail)
Subject: Could someone explain this behavior for me?

Hi,

Could someone explain this behavior for me?

We (that is to say my group) have developed a Web application using JSP's
and Java classes to access data from a database.  This application is
running on Tomcat, of course.

The question is this:

Why does Tomcat try to recompile classes I've placed under the
"%TOMCAT-HOME%\webapps\MY_WEB_APPLICATION\WEB-INF\classes" directory unless
I alter the tomcat.bat file to set a classpath to this application?

What is involved in this process?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Robert