tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Todd" <clt...@bellatlantic.net>
Subject RE: Tomcat + Virtual Hosting
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2000 18:14:02 GMT
I would also be interested in documentation regarding Tomcat's support of
virtual hosts.  I've already read all of the Tomcat 3.1 documentation, and
Tomcat 3.1's support for virtual hosts is simply not feasible for us.

Our company currently uses ApacheJServ 1.1, which has excellent support for
virtual hosts, but our servers cannot possibly handle the performance
demands Tomcat 3.1 would require...some of our servers have a few hundred
domains with servlet zones.  Running a few hundred instances of a JVM would
bring our servers to their knees.  Our customers are screaming for JSP 1.1
and Servlet 2.2 support, so we have to give them something, but we're not
even sure a commercial product like JRun can meet our needs (as near as I
can tell, JRun supports virtual hosts via multiple JVMs as well).  If Tomcat
3.2 can support virtual hosts in a manner similar to ApacheJServ, that would
be a godsend for us.

Sincerest regards,
Chris Todd
Software Engineer