tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Joe Shirey" <>
Subject RE: Tomcat setup with IIS
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:43:45 GMT
In my limited experience with Tomcat 3.1/IIS 5.0 when you specify the port
you are bypassing IIS and talking directly to Tomcat.  In order to have IIS
redirect to Tomcat on port 80 (as long as you get the green up arrow in the
IIS manager) you need to modify your file to include
the following lines (for the examples):

This will cause Tomcat to serve up all files in the examples directory.  If
you want IIS to serve up static content, you need to create a virtual
directory to point to your examples directory and change the file to tell Tomcat to serve only jsp and servlet

The only issue I still have has to do with the default document.  If I tell
IIS that index.jsp is a valid default document, IIS will send it to the
browser without allowing Tomcat to process the page - the raw jsp is sent to
the browser.  If I don't tell IIS about index.jsp, I get a directory listing
denied page (since I have directory browsing turned off).  In this case, I
have to specify the default document.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: []
  Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 6:35 AM
  Subject: AW: Tomcat setup with IIS

  I hope I am right, but I think when you use port 8080, you will talk
directly to Tomcat without IIS.
  And that's not what you want.

  You should change the port from the standard website (80) to something
else (maybe 81).
  Then you can change the port of the tomcat website to 80.
  These changes have to be done in the IIS manager.
  You have to change also the file extensions from default.asp,... to
index.jsp, ...html, etc.

  Another question:
  Do you have additionally started Tomcat? The isapi.dll is only a
redirector. ;)

  Third idea:

  I created virtual directories called examples and admin which point to
\tomcat\webapps\examples and \tomcat\webapps\admin
  and it works fine for me (now!).

  If it will work, you can access the site with:

    -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----