tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rob S." <rsli...@home.com>
Subject RE: IllegalStateException
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2000 15:33:32 GMT
Hi Aron,

> > Does anyone know what this means?
> >
> > java.lang.IllegalStateException: Response has already been committed
> >         at

When your page is "running," output gets sent to a buffer.  When that buffer
becomes full (default size is 8k I believe), or you explicitly choose to
flush it (out.flush() i think?), it's sent to your web server.  You've
already "committed" to displaying that page to a user, so you're being told
that you have to finish what you've started =)

Are you trying to do a redirect after a flush or after a large amount of
content has been generated?

There's another thing... I can't quite remember what it is, but it's a
common cause of that message also.  Maybe someone could chime in? =)

- r