tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rob S." <rsli...@home.com>
Subject RE: Stream broken.
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2000 18:18:31 GMT
> I tried to accecc it through http://www.domain.con:8007. I thoght this
> would produce some kind of page that said "You have a working tomcat now
> ..." just like apache does when it is working but it didn't. After a while
> I came up with the brilliant idea to just try
> http://www.domain.com/examples/ which worked just fine. I guess I must
> have been tired or something... Still, I think it would be nice if Tomcat
> didn't thow an exception when one tries to accecc ti directly.

Well, the exception is implicitly telling you that you're trying to access
it directly =)

It can't communicate to your browser because it's expecting AJP and the
browser is HTTP.  Cutting code to deal with this specific usage error would
probably involve an additional check during each communication session (not
"session" as in web browser, "session" as in conversation) which would slow
things down for the 99.99999% of the time when Tomcat is accessed from the
web server.

A better idea is probably adding something to the install guide.  My admin
made the same mistake when he was setting up Tomcat.

- r