tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kenneth R. Kress <kkr...@home.com>
Subject Session lessons learned
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:30:50 GMT
I just upgraded to 3.2b and found the following problems in
code that worked just fine with 3.1:

OLD:
session = request.getSession(true); // old behavior preserved existing session state
session.invalidate();  // old behavior cleared the session's state

NEW:
session = request.getSession(false); // preserves existing session state
session = request.getSession(true); // clear's the session's state
session.invalidate(); // generates an exception:
(
  session = request.getSession(true);
  session.invalidate();
  session = request.getSession();
generates this:
  java.lang.IllegalStateException: setAttribute: Session already invalidated
)

Once I figured this out through trial and error (hours), I grepped through
my code and made the changes.

If this is not the correct interpretation or the correct final behavior, I'd appreciate
a head's up. I want to do the correct thing going forward. (RH6.1, jdk1.2.2RC4)

Thanks,

     Ken.

P.S. I'm noticing that the JSP and servlet compilation time feels "much" slower
than 3.1 the first time a page is accessed. Has anyone else noticed this?

--
Kenneth R. Kress                                kkress@home.com