tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rob S." <rsli...@home.com>
Subject RE: Apache & Tomcat cooperation
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:10:04 GMT
> These ones work fine when I run TomCat in standalone mode but not when I
> try in cooperative mode with Apache.
> So I haven't modified any conf files such as server.xml, a part from the
> Apache
> one (httpd.conf) in which I included a link towards tomcat.conf file.
> I must precise that i succesfully installed mod-jserv.so.

I'm not exactly sure what/what not gets written to Tomcat's generated file,
but it may be missing some stuff, like assuming the existence of a default
host and port for ApJServ stuff.  The MUG actually has a good example of
what an httpd.conf file should look like to work with Tomcat.

Ok, well since you won't be running Tomcat in standalone, lets do this in
server.xml.  Where you see this:

        <!-- Normal HTTP
        <Connector className="org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpConnector">
            <Parameter name="handler"

value="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler"/>
            <Parameter name="port"
                value="8080"/>
        </Connector>
        -->

...comment it out.  You see that mine is already commented out (with the
<!-- ... -->).

> BUT before that testing phase, I'm not sure whether I should still launch
> Tomcat
> before Apache or not since when I do, the Apache server do not launch,
> although
> it works fine when launched alone ...

That's probably because there was a conflict on port 8080.  I'm not too
familiar with Apache, so I don't know if it just wouldn't start if one of
its listening ports was already taken.  Probably not I imagine?  Anyways,
commenting out the aforementioned section of your server.xml file should get
you started.

> What I was expected is to be able to run the TomCat examples
> through Apache,
>
> just as well as through TomCat.

...and as well you should, just have to work out some setup issues ;)

> I don't know if I make myself clear enough ...

I get ya!  Comment that block out, restart both Apache and Tomcat and let me
know what happens.  I'm going to sleep soon, so hurry if you want to keep
this thread going =)

- r