tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jason Rumney <jrum...@ipo.att.com>
Subject Re: WEB-INF/lib and .jar files in Tomcat 3.1
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 08:08:58 GMT
Nacho <nacho@siapi.es> writes:

> I think that there are no restrictions to this, only that zip files are
> no loaded from WEB-INF/lib, but a zip file is not jar :-).
>

> > The reason I ask is that the CORBA libraries required by myapp do not
> > appear to be loaded from myapp/WEB-INF/lib. I wonder whether they are
> > too low-level for this method to work.
> >

> i dont know, but until now everytime i have the feeling that tomcat
> don't load a file from WEB-INF/lib was my fail no a Tomcat's fail.....

Thanks for confirming that this should work, and I am not reading the
servlet spec wrong.

The files are jar files, and they are in WEB-INF/lib, not a
subdirectory. Permissions are 664, so Tomcat should have no problems
reading them. They are loaded if I place them in jakarta-tomcat/lib,
but for reasons of organization I would prefer to keep them with the
app rather than the server.

The only thing I can think of is that these libraries contain
org.omg.CORBA.* classes, so they may need to be loaded when the JVM
starts up, to avoid clashes with the standard Java 1.2 classes. I don't
know enough about the Java classloader to know whether this would be
an issue, or if there is another problem.

--
Jason Rumney <jrumney@ipo.att.com>
AT&T Labs (Redditch, UK)