tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jam...@cardsetc.com
Subject Using Xalan 1.0.1 with Tomcat 3.1 - Classloader problems?
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2000 01:47:20 GMT
Hello,

I am just wondering whether anyone on the list has had any experience with
using Tomcat 3.1 and Xalan 1.0.1 (an XSLT processor developed at
http://xml.apache.org) together.  I have written some extension elements
that some of my stylesheet use - I'm using the IBM Bean Scripting Framework
to allow these extension elements to be called from Xalan.

I'm attempting to deploy my web application in the usual way, with our own
classes in WEB-INF/classes and the 3rd party jar files in WEB-INF/classes
(xalan.jar, xerces.jar, bsf.jar and bsfengines.jar).  I start tomcat with a
blank classpath.  I find that as soon as Xalan attempts to invoke my
extension element and thus needs to start dynamically loading classes,
things quickly go awry and IllegalAccessExceptions get thrown.

If I start Tomcat with a classpath that includes the Xalan, Xerces and BSF
jars then everything works fine.

Xalan does not implement its own class loader, rather it would load these
classes via Class.forName().  Is it possible that Xalan is using the
default class loader and getting that class path (which in the ideal
scenario would only have the Jars added by the tomcat startup script) -
rather than the Tomcat class loader?  Is it possible for a class to
circumvent Tomcat in this manner, WITHOUT implementing its own class
loader?

Regards,
James W.

Visit us at Cards Australia 2000 on Stand 31A.  Cards Australia will be
held at the Melbourne Convention Centre from July 4-6 2000.
This e-mail is from Cards Etc Pty Ltd (ACN: 069 533 302). It may contain
privileged and confidential information. It is intended for the named
recipient(s) only. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify us
immediately by reply e-mail or by phone on +61 2 9212 7773 & delete this
e-mail from your system.