tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "A. Scott White" <>
Subject JSP Taglibs
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2000 20:11:56 GMT
Why should I define taglibs rather than simply writing standard java classes
and calling their methods from JSP script elements? Is there some hidden
benefit to the complication of taglibs that I'm not quite understanding.

I suppose, if you wanted to create a simpler grammar for dynamic content for
a non-programmer content developer of some kind, taglibs would provide this
mechanism. If, however, I'm a Java programmer and I'm responsible for
content, it seems that taglibs are another level of unnecessary abstraction.

Please correct me if I'm missing some important distinction.

A. Scott White
Director of Information Systems and Product Strategy
ACS Healthcare Solutions Group

View raw message