tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Blue, Neil" <Neil.B...@chadwyck.co.uk>
Subject RE: [Tomcat Users] Tomcat installation - server.xml setup
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:24:18 GMT
Yes, app is a class.
I am using Tomcat with Apache. I also have a line in server.xml that maps
images to /opt/tomcat/images

<Context path="/images" docBase="/opt/tomcat/images" debug="0"
reloadable="true">
</Context>

but the dir the it shows in the browser is /opt/tomcat/webapps/images, and
there isn't a /opt/tomcat/images dir.

also

<Context path="/r" docBase="webapps/ROOT" debug="0" reloadable="true">
</Context>

works with http://<host>/r/servlet/app

<Context path="" docBase="webapps/ROOT" debug="0" reloadable="true">
</Context>

but http://<host>/servlet/app
does not

-----Original Message-----
From: Sharad Baranwal [mailto:sharadbaranwal@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000 4:09 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: [Tomcat Users] Tomcat installation

Shaun....

Make sure that u have the context for examples in the server.xml
it will be something like this..

<Context path="examples" docBase="webapps/examples" debug="0"
reloadable="true">
</Context>

I'm also running Tomcat in stand alone mode without Apache.

Anshul....

the (path="") means that the root path is referred to .... the root path is
the immidiate domain path for your host..

that is for example "http://your.host.com/" this path....

and that this path is mapped to webapps/ROOT for the particular tomcat
installation.

Niel......

I presume "app" is a class....

Well i had a simple servlet First.class in my tomcat installation as >>>
c:\tomcat\webapps\sharad\web_inf\classes\First.class
and i used to invoke it thru url>>>> http://localhost/sharad/servlet/First

then i copied it to c:\tomcat\webapps\root\web_inf\classes\ path..

and now i can access it thru http://localhost/servlet/First also...

hope this helps..

Jan Grant......

I am not using Tomcat with Apache... but u can turn of the file access in
apache using the <Directory> tag. this goes in the httpd.conf file for
Apache. It has some attribute settings too. I don't know in much detail but
this is the tag to look for.

But this does not solve the directory listing problem for Tomcat.. we will
have to do something else for that..

happy serving...........
Sharad