tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bedell, Kevin" <KBed...@cmgi.com>
Subject RE: jsp config problem w/ tomcat 3.1
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 19:17:28 GMT
For a directory to be enabled for .JSP's in Tomcat, the following must
happen:

1.	In the server.xml file in the WEBAPPS directory in Tomcat, you must
create a "Context" for each directory that you want .JSP's to run in.

2.	In the directory you want to put .JSP's in, you must have a WEB-INF
subdirectory structure (similar to the directory structures under the
"examples" directories ("examples context", actually is a better
description). This directory structure includes a web.xml file and a classes
subdirectory. (This directory structure and the web.xml file format are
actaully specified by the Servlet 2.2 specification available on Sun's site)

There may also potentially be entries to make in the Apache configuration
file if you are not using Tomcat as stand alone. Model everything after the
"examples context" and you should be fine.

Best of luck!

Kevin

<mailto:rpb@community.net.uk>>

"Eric" <eric@info-x-inc.com> wrote in message
> I apologize for the total newbie question...
>
> I've recently added Jakarta-Tomcat to my RedHat/Apache setup, so as to
> be able to handle JSP.  Configuration was managable, and I was able to
> get things working, but with one major issue:
>
> It seems that Tomcat is only processing JSP files if they are in the
> directories that were created as part of the Tomcat install, and I can
> not figure out how to enable processing of JSP in my standard Apache
> web root directory.
>
> Any comments?  Thanks

I have the same problem and I'm *not* a total newbie :-(

I also need to enable JSP's (and Cocoon for .XML) within my users'
directories without having to create individual "web application"
contexts, and without using Tomcat's own HTTP server.

I have this working fine under Apache JServ 1.1.x, but if Tomcat
can't handle the same configuration then I'm afraid for me it's
next to useless :-(

Any help very much appreciated

-Steve

Steve Conover