tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bedell, Kevin" <>
Subject RE: war files and directories
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2000 16:06:48 GMT
 - a WAR file is a "Web ARchive" file.

 - Its purpose is to house an entire application - all files and directories
below the "webapps" directory.

 - Place a .WAR file in the "webapps" directory, and when you restart
Tomcat, it automagically extracts it, places the WEB-INF/classes directory
on your path and makes the application available.

 - The purpose of a .WAR file is to facilitate application DEPLOYMENT. You
do your development on a "development machine" in a subdirectory of
"webapps" - then when it is ready for deployment you "WAR up" the
application, move the WAR file to the "webapps" directory on the production
server and restart Tomcat. Tomcat wakes up and automatically extracts the
WAR file and installs it.

 - The ANT utility (you were probably wondering what it was for (like me at
first)) is used to create WAR files among other things. ANT uses the jar
utility to create the WAR files.

 - ANT is similar to a Make utility for those used to C/UNIX work. It
ensures you have the most recent versions of all class files and creates WAR
files for deployment.

 - Most of this info is hidden in the docs somewhwere.... I can't remember
where I read it all.

This actually provides a reasonably mature development environment. It can
work with CVS for source code management as well.

Anyone have other comments?

View raw message