tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Troy Echols <tech...@lucent.com>
Subject Problems with JSP include and commitment
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:43:27 GMT
I've been struggling with this problem for a couple of days.  I
understand that there are issues with jsp:forward when the response has
already been committed (i.e., headers have already been written?).  What
are the restrictions on jsp:include?  In practice, what does it mean to
commit the response.  I don't explicitly set any headers before I
perform my jsp:include, but I keep getting the error
"java.lang.IllegalStateException: Response has already been committed"
at the point where my include is done.  Under what conditions might I be
"committing the response" without knowing it.  I don't have any problems
with commitment in general, but in this case I don't think I want it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Troy

The scenario and an example follow:
o main.jsp determines user-agent and forwards to
user-agent_appropriate.jsp
o user-agent_appropriate.jsp processes request and interacts with a bean
that contains service logic.  Based on direction from bean,
user-agent_appropriate.jsp forwards to interaction_specific.jsp which is
a template for a particular class of interaction with user.  I
originally was using jsp:include here, but it didn't work for the same
reason.   In this case, jsp:forward was a suitable substitute.
o interaction_specific.jsp template may jsp:include one or more
templates for dynamic sub-interactions that may need to be done.  This
is where I'm getting the error and jsp:forward is not a suitable
substitute in this case.

<form name="getPassword" method="post"
action="html/user-agent_appropriate.jsp">
<center>

<%@ page language="java" import="java.util.*" autoFlush="false"%>

<jsp:useBean id="manager" scope="session"
class="myapp.InteractionManager"/>

<%Iterator it = manager.getQueuedNotificationTaskIterator();
  while (it.hasNext()) {
    String message = (String) it.next();
    String template = manager.getTaskSpecDescription(message); %>
<jsp:include page="<%= template %>" flush="true"/>
<%  } %>

Login:  <input name="currentUserID" type="text">
Password:  <input name="password" type="password">
<input type="submit" value="Login Now!">
<input type="submit" value="terminateSession" name="terminateSession">
<input type="submit" value="assistancePlease" name="assistancePlease">
</center>
</form>