tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Gal Shachor <shac...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Virtual Hosting and Static Files: How?
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:29:35 GMT

Steven Punte wrote:

> Kevin:
>
>     Thanks for the reply.
>
>     If I understand you strategy, it requires me to effect
>     changes in each application, correct?  That is,
>     instead of http://host/file.html, I will require the
>     application to specify http://host/app1/file.html.
>
>     Is this correct?

Yes, but wait you can use mod_rewrite!

>     At the moment, my situation is that I need to
>     host several application on the same machine
>     as if they were being server in a stand
>     alone manner (i.e. no changes in URLS).

Steve, a solution can be found where you:

1. Define webapps with the JSP files in them (say under /app1).
2. Use mod_rewrite to rewrite all requests for *.jsp into /app1/*.jsp

This way you will not have to change your html/jsp files...

I know that this is not the best/easiest configuration but it should
work (sorry I did not provide an example in the ug).

Hopefully Tomcat3.2 will have an easier vhost and apache integration
support through mod_jk. Using mod_jk you can define:

<VirtualHost  209.204.163.24>
    ServerName cabo.hamsoft.com
    JkMount /*.jsp tomact
    ServerAdmin stevep@technologent.com <mailto:stevep@technologent.com>
    DocumentRoot /var/webrooms/resortbase
    ServerName webhost0.hamsoft.com
</VirtualHost>

And then all jsp suffixed files will go to your tomcat worker.

	Gal Shachor