tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Pierce <>
Subject Apache, JServ, Tomcat compatibility problems
Date Sun, 11 Jun 2000 20:02:13 GMT

Hello All,

Servlets are not accessible through Apache although JSPs are. All
functions work correctly under Tomcat stand alone.

RH Linux 6.2, Apache 1.3.12, JServ 1.1.1, JDK1.2.2, Tomcat 3.1

1. Had several low level problems trying to use RPM installations,
finally gave up and compiled Apache 1.3.12 and JServ 1.1.1 using DSO and

EAPI (see READMEs their very complete). There are references in the
Tomcat docs to "slightly altered versions" of JServ. I hope that I
altered the standard ApacheJServ-1.1.1-tar.gz correctly.... JServ wants
a JSDK2.0 environment to make itself from ./configure to I gave it and
old one that I had laying around since I wasn't planning on using its
Java implementation anyway. I probably didn't even need to bother since
the "" get made anyway.

2. Tomcat has a fairly decent Users Guide and other technical documents
but following on from JServ, it's not that easy to see how everything
fits together and how useful this stuff really can be. Once you figure
out how all the seemingly complicated pieces should fit together, then
things become considerable simpler. A good place for an overview like
this would be on Tomcat's public homepage so you'd know what to expect
BEFORE you download. I get the feeling that Tomcat was really well
thought out and when everything works this will be a solution to many,
many minor (and not so minor) problems. Maybe once everything works, I
should write it myself and send it in...

3. Tomcat 3.1 stand alone is now up, the tests batterys run successfully

all the way through. The examples and JSPs all act as expected. Apache
1.3.12 is up and running. Both have on debug logging and neither produce

anything extraordinary.

4. I moved Tomcat's document root in server.xml (home=/home/tomcat) and
copied the examples over there because it like my data separate from my
executables.  The server root is at the $TOMCAT_HOME basically as
installed. A minor problem arose in that (or child) started
putting "tomcat-apache.conf" over in
"/home/tomcat/conf/tomcat-apache.conf" so I moved the Apache "Include"
directive to there, rather than argue with it. It also wanted
"/home/tomcat(conf/tomcat-users.xml" over there, so I copied it too. I
also moved the logs over to "/var/log/httpd/tomcat.log". The startup
script can't find it but I'm ignoring that error. I have "Alias"  and
"Directory" directives in httpd.conf that tells apache to server the
static stuff under /home/tomcat. This is basically so the developers can

use a single .war file for delivery.

5. From Netscape: using "http://localhost/examples/jsp/" Apache (Tomcat
is at localhost:8080 and works correctly) everthing works as expected.
But "http://localhost/examples/servlets/" brings up the examples
selection page but from there it always reports: "Not Found The
requested URL /examples/servlet/HelloWorldExample was not found on this
server." . In other words, Apache doesn't know what to do with a
servlet. I checked the dynamic "/home/tomcat/conf/tomcat-apache.conf"
which follows the users guide fairly closely. All contexts are built
from the server.xml in the same way as:

Alias /examples /home/tomcat/webapps/examples
<Directory "/home/tomcat/webapps/examples">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
ApJServMount /examples/servlet /examples
<Location /examples/WEB-INF/ >
    AllowOverride None
    deny from all

There is a bit of mistery as to how the context knows to go down into
WEB-INF/classes or WEB_INF/lib and fetch the required servlet...but it
works under Tomcat standalone... just not under Apache.....

I gather that the "/examples/servlet" under the "ApJServMount" directive

is simply an alias and that a Tomcat "Context" is basically the same as
a JServ "zone". The "ApJServMount" directive is only documented for

Sorry about the looooooong length. I was avoiding ambiguities...

View raw message